SAINT JOHN, N.B. – A Saint John councillor supports an investigation into a weekend incident that saw higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide recorded at a north end arena.

The Gorman Arena on University Avenue was evacuated on Sunday when the high levels of gas were detected but no one reported becoming seriously ill.

Emergency services were not called and Ward 2 Councillor John MacKenzie says he’s surprised it’s not part of standard protocol.

“I suppose if there weren’t injuries then you wouldn’t have to have an ambulance present. But just to find out where the link was and if they actually had it shut off and under control.”

There’s still no word on what caused the high levels of carbon monoxide and the fire department is now part of the investigation.